Notifications
Clear all

A significant portion of the housing stock in Lafayette is older (between 20 and 50 years old). How should the Comprehensive Plan provide tools and strategies to help preserve and enhance the quality of the older stock of housing in the community  

A significant portion of the housing stock in Lafayette is older (between 20 and 50 years old). How should the Comprehensive Plan provide tools and strategies to help preserve and enhance the quality of the older stock of housing in the community

1 Answer

I recommend the city come up with a specific plan for housing preservation, as well as preservation of mobile home stock.  Ideas to include are allowing ADUs so that seniors can rent a portion of their home to bring in some income.  This could include partnering with groups like Habitat for low interest loans, and then making the ADUs affordable.  

Additionally, Boulder has done extensive work on preserving mobile homes through partnerships with community organizations.  In Ponderosa they are converting the mobile homes to other types of homes in partnership with Flatirons Habitat for Humanity.  All of this requires a staff person who will really focus on this.  Currently we rely on the County Housing Authority to help with Financing, but with all they have on their plate, paying attention to the specific needs of Lafayette is not all that they have to do.  I think we need a staff person who will look for housing opportunities, meet with community members, assess needs, apply for grants, etc.  I recognize this may be tough, but if we want to retain our residents and our community character, we need to do this.  

There is so much more to be considered such as mixed use housing in commercial areas, and creating walking and biking corridors so residents could get by without cars.  Perhaps we need a permanent affordable housing committee.

Your Answer

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Stay informed...

on project updates and be a part of the discussion.