Notifications
Clear all

How should Lafayette plan for people with disabilities, as part of the Comprehensive Plan?  

How should Lafayette plan for people with disabilities, as part of the Comprehensive Plan?

5 Answers

Improve sidewalks and ramp access  and bus access to main shopping and recreation areas 

Thank you so much for asking this question! Disabilities is a very broad term describing a lot of diverse individuals. Many individuals with disabilities have both physical and or cognitive challenges. My daughter has autism and falls under the term IDD or individuals with Developmental Disabilities, and this population is rapidly rising, given 1 in 8 of our kids are IDD, and require supports in order to be integrated into community living. I urge our City of Lafayette to see people with IDD as a valuable part of the community, and that literally means to see them, to work beside them, to live beside them. Which means, in the next 20 years our COMP PLAN must include specific language to allow for a variety of types of housing, recreation and full living that considers integrating people with IDD. It benefits us all. Many of us wish for an integrated and inclusive Co Housing and other development, where 25 % of the units are dedicated and affordable to adults with IDD specifically. Most people with IDD do not drive, and are partnered with caretaking agencies, so housing for us, means affordable housing for others, especially millennials. People talk about multigenerational housing, but equally important are multi needs housing. We are looking for safety, opportunities to be connected and joyful and fulfilled. Especially for after Lafayette parents, who are immersed in community, die and want to be sure our kids are thriving and loving life in Lafayette! Did you know that most adults with IDD live at home with aging parents and that 87 percent of them wish they could live independently? Did you know that people with IDD are 7 percent more likely to be sexually assaulted than typical people because perpetrators know they cannot testify? The worst story is of Aaron Tuneberg, who was murdered for his Xbox in an apartment in Boulder, a place where no one knew their neighbors, and no one got involved. No one called the police. His mom is my friend, Gale. Other communities are making headway, and creating amazing community housing models that bring together life sharing opportunities that blend housing with local farms and artists and nature. These are all integral parts of full living for people with IDD, who are creative and need time in green spaces and empowerment through working on the land, with animals, making art and friends. Thank you! Watch this video, "Finding a Home for Bar"  https://www.highspirit.org/history and you will get it.

IDD individuals need housing communities. They want to live independently but need to be protected from exploitation from others as well as helping them to be productive members of our communities at large. Those of us with adult children want to know when we gone that our adult children will be protected but not just protected but happy and safe.

I want my non-verbal daughter with IDD to be able to have a decent quality of life. This includes having quality housing options (as one size does not fit all), public transit to get to a job / shopping, and lots of social support to help her engage with society at large, while still being protected from exploitation and abuse. These severely disabled kids deserve to be protected, cherished, and loved. They have many gifts to offer, but they will need life-long support and care. Their parents can’t care for them forever. 

Anything that helps people remain as independent as possible, like advocacy groups who help with home repairs. I'm lucky to have 3 grown kids to help, but not everyone has family support.

Your Answer

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Stay informed...

on project updates and be a part of the discussion.